Taking steps to avoid having your children taken away from you

Laura Prysor-Jones 

works in the family law department and deals with a range of family work including children’s matters, divorce and domestic violence and also wills.

Summer is a time for people to relax and enjoy themselves, but sometimes things can get out of hand.

You may not realise it, but if you come into contact with the police, it may not just be them that you have to deal with.

The local authority may become involved, if for example there are concerns about a parent or parents being involved in domestic violence or abusing alcohol or illicit substances.

Police call-outs to properties may also lead to the involvement of social services if there are concerns regarding the safety of children. Social services are concerned by incidents such as these and are more frequently choosing to issue care proceedings and seek to remove children from their families.

If social services are involved with your family, it is important that you get specialist advice at an early stage.

There is increasing pressure on the court system for cases to be concluded quicker, and this means that there are fewer chances given to parents wanting to demonstrate that they can look after their children – it is vital that you receive expert advice as soon as possible to help you show that your kids should remain with you.

So, how can we help? At Burd Ward we offer specialist advice for parents or guardians of children at all stages of local authority involvement. We are able to offer practical advice to help avoid the local
authority taking care proceedings.

If proceedings are issued we are able to represent parents / guardians or those wishing to put themselves forward as potential carers for the child in question.

Both Laura Prysor-Jones and John Burd are members of the Law Society’s Children Panel and are experienced in representing parents and families involved in court proceedings. If social services are involved with your family, it is important that you take specialist advice as soon as possible. If you wish to discuss your situation, contact the office on 0151 639 8273 and ask for an appointment.

Posted on June 30th, 2015 by Burd Ward