Are Holiday Sickness claims a real thing?

Having fallen ill on Holiday 2 years ago for one week of a two week holiday, I found that it ruined my holiday as I couldn’t eat and could barely hold down water. I received various medications from the Hotel Doctor at a cost of over £120. When I came home I was still ill and it lasted for several months but I never thought to make a claim as I just thought it was “one of those things”. However, since my experience I have been reading various stories in the press about hundreds of people getting ill on Holiday and I thought to myself if no one complains about it then how do we expect the Hotel and or tour operators to know that it happening and therefore do something about it? Yes we can just complain, but why shouldn’t we get some of our money back for the holiday that was ruined, that we have saved and saved to afford!

With the summer Holiday season coming to end and Holiday sickness claims rising I thought I would advise people of what Holiday Sickness is all about.

Some people can suffer severe food poisoning resulting in long lasting stomach problems. Some only suffer a few days to a few weeks.

So who can claim? Well if you have been on Holiday (in the UK or abroad) and you have suffered from Holiday sickness then ask yourself the following questions:

  1. Did you eat or drink only in the Hotel? If you ate outside the Hotel then it may be difficult to prove it was the food in the Hotel that caused the illness, unless it was only after you became ill.
  2. What food in particular do you believe caused the illness, and on what date and were was it served?
  3. Did you eat food that looked like it had not been cooked properly?
  4. Did you see food left uncovered? For example in outside eating areas in the heat? If so what was the average heat on that day(s)?
  5. Were antibacterial hand gels provided in the food areas?
  6. Do you know of any other guests getting ill?
  7. Did you see insects, birds and/or animals around the food service areas?
  8. Did anyone else in your group become ill?

If you have suffered Sickness whilst on Holiday and you informed your Rep / Hotel and sought treatment then you may be able to claim.

Call Alisha Butler-Ward at Burd Ward Solicitors on 0800 0190 324

Posted on September 21st, 2016 by Burd Ward