Disrepair Q & A

Question: Do you rent your home but find it difficult to get your landlord to carry out even the most basic of repairs?

  • Damp / Mould growth
  • Rotting windows frames
  • Leaking roof
  • Broken toilet / bath / shower
  • Electrics do not work
  • Broken noiler

The above are just a few examples of problems you may be facing on a daily basis, however what do you do when nobody turns up to fix these problems and what rights do you have to take matters further?

Answer: Firstly, you should detail your complaints in a letter to your landlord and ensure that you keep a copy, and also take photographs of any of the problems. If your landlord fails to respond then you may wish to consult a legal expert who should be willing to write to your landlord on your behalf asking for the repairs to be carried out. In some circumstances you may be able to receive advice which is funded by the Legal Aid Agency.

It is wise to keep a diary of events surrounding your disrepair problems as times, dates, and ‘who said what’ will be important if your landlord continually ignores you or refuses to see to the problems.

Even if your tenancy agreement has now expired you may still be protected by the law, and may be able to take your landlord to court to obtain an order forcing him/her to carry out the works. In some cases tenants can receive compensation.

Your legal expert should aim to try and resolve the issues with your landlord without going to court, however if your landlord does not do what is required by the law then court proceedings could be issued to try and enforce your statutory and tenancy rights.

If you are in doubt then you should contact Paula Suckley at Burd Ward on 0151 639 8273 or email her at ps@burdward.co.uk

Posted on August 14th, 2014 by Burd Ward